Wednesday

Hello, my name is ...

My given name is Christine Stone, but I call myself Featherweight, and you will soon learn why.
I was born to an angry woman in a small town in upstate New York, in the mid-70s. My mother was a high school drop-out, and my father was one of the men she picked up in a bar. Since there were several to choose from, it took some time to track him down to squeeze child support out of him. Lucky for both of us, he was fairly well off, and paid my mother’s rent and kept me in decent clothing without argument. And when I was six years old, he refused to pay the ninth emergency room bill for a broken bone, until my mother signed a paper saying that she would never contact him (or me), again, and off I went, to live my father, in a fairy-tale manner that every little girl dreams of.
But you know there has to be more to the story, right?
There is, of course, but it comes much later.

No comments:

Post a Comment